Mold Testing

Clean Bathroom

What is Mold?

Mold is a microscopic fungus that helps nature decompose dead organic material. Both mold and mildew are different types of fungus, but mold is usually shades of black, blue, red, and green, whereas mildew is white.

Why is Mold Important?

Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye, and there are many different types. Some have beneficial by products such as yeasts and penicillin, while others live off of food products and the building materials in our home1.

 

Mold is important to our ecosystems as it helps break down organic material, but mold in your home can lead to property damage and health issues.

CAN MOLD MAKE YOU 
SICK?

Mold can pose a health risk. The fungi produce allergens (substances which can cause allergic reactions in some individuals). Inhaling or touching mold spores may provoke bodily reactions such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Mold exposure can also irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs2.

  

Of the 21.8 million people reported to have asthma in the U.S., approximately 4.6 million cases are estimated to be attributable to dampness and mold exposure in the home according to the EPA3.

In fact, a survey reported that 42% of asthma sufferers found mold to be a trigger4.

MOLD AND 
HOME DAMAGE

shutterstock_1231777429_edited.jpg
shutterstock_183994487.jpg

Mold spores are like seeds, but invisible to the naked eye, that float through the air and deposit on surfaces. When the temperature, moisture, and available nutrient conditions are correct, the pores can form into new visible mold colonies where they are deposited5.

 

Mold needs moisture to grow, so the humidity levels in your home are a factor to consider. Excess humidity can lead to dampness and mold. Under the right conditions, mold can grow anywhere in the home and will destroy the material of which it grows on. Mold will grow more rapidly on some material types than others, in particular wood, textiles and cellulose based materials like cardboard and paper.

 

Mold is a natural part of our ecosystem. But when household mold growth gets out of hand it can affect the health of both the home and your family. However, every individual is different and some are more susceptible to the negative effects.

In order to limit exposure one should monitor air quality, particularly temperature and humidity levels, as these interact to provide the best conditions for mold growth.

 

  • Is there a musty smell in your home or building?

  • Are there visible signs of water damage anywhere?

  • Has the building ever suffered a plumbing leak?

  • Has the building ever suffered a roof leak?

  • Has the building ever suffered a leaking basement?

  • Has the building ever suffered a sink or sewer overflow?

  • Has the building ever suffered other water problems?

  • Anyone in your home suffering from allergic type symptoms? 

When Should You Call a Professional Mold Testing Service?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, consider a mold inspection or mold testing now.

Whether you are a buyer, seller, or investor- or just want to ensure your present home or building is mold free, we will provide the professional service you need. Our services are conducted by a certified mold professional and can include an air quality sample of both the interior and exterior of your property. Using a variety of mold testing methods and forensic lab analysis on samples taken, we provide you with a detailed report of the findings and advise you on recommendations for proper remediation.

79-low-resolution-for-web-png-1546019107
IAC2_logo_mold.png